MINUTES OF THE ONE HUNDEED AND SEYENTY-NINTH SESSION OF ORANGE PRESBYTEM, HELD IN THE CHUECII m CLAEKSYILLE, YA. October, 1859. 2^ FAYETTE YILLE, IT. C. : FEINTED AT THE PEESBYTEEIAlSr OFFICE. 1859. LIBRHRY OF THE UMiversity of North earollna. Endowed by the Dialectic and Philan- thropic Societies. This BOOK may be kept out TWO WEEKS ONLY and is subject to a fine of FIVE CENTS a day thereafter. It was taken out on the day indi- cated below: MINUTES OF THE ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY-NINTH SESSION OF ORANGE PRESBYTERY, HELD IN THE CHURCH IN CLAEKESYILLE, YA., October, 1859. FAYETTEYILLE, N, C. : PEINTED AT THE PEESBYTEEIAI^ OFFICE. 1859= MINUTiS OF ORANGE PRESBYTERY. Glabke8Ville, Yiroinia, October 28th, 1859. f*resbyterj met according to adjournment and was opened -with a sermon by Kev. E. Hines, Moderator, from Heb. T : 25. Constituted with prayer. Present : G. W. Ferrill, E. Hines, A. Gurrie, C. K. Caldwell, S. A. Stanlield, F. IST. Whaley, T. U. Faucette, J. M. Sherwood, J. M. Kirkpatrick, J. W. Montgomery, J. M. Atkinson, P. H. Dalton, W. L. Miller, J. B. Shearer, J. Henry Smith, E. H. Harding and F. H. Johnston, Ministers, with A. J. Hughes, Hugh McAden, Dr. James L. Wortham, S. S. Clayton, T. J. Gregory G. W. White, E. I. Smith, J. J. Daniel, M. Y. Lanier, John W. Thackston, Dr. C. L. Payne, J, W. Norwood, W. L. Owen, G. W. Thompson and W. W. Wharton, Kuling Elders. Absent : E. W. Caruthers, D. D., Thomas Lynch, A. Wilson, D. D., James Phillips, D. D., J. Doll, E. C. Bittenger, A. G. Hughes, Z. Graves, T. G. Wall, P. A. McMartin and T. B. Neill, Ministers. Kev. Willis L. Miller was chosen Moderator and Pev. T. TJ, Faucette and Kev. J. B. Shearer, temporary Clerks. The reading of the minutes of the last meeting of Presbytery was dispensed with. Presbytery then adjourned to meet to-morrow morning at 9 "©'clock. Closed with prayer. 4 Saturday Morning, Oct. 29th, 1859. Presbytery met according to adjournment and was opened with prayer. The minutes of last evening's Session were read and approved. Letters were received from J. Doll, T. B. Neill, ISF. Z. Graves and A. G. Hughes, Ministers, giving satisfactory reasons for ab- sence from the present Sessions of Presbytery. A circular letter from the Board of Education was read and referred to a Committee consisting of E-ev. A.Currie, Rev. C. K, Caldwell and W. W. Wharton. The report of the Committee of Domestic Missions was made the order of the day for Monday evening at 7 o'clock. The Committee apppointed to organize a church at High Point and at Leakesvilie, reported that a church had been organized at High Point, but that the way was not open for an organization at Leakesvilie at present. Rev. Stephen Mattoon of the Presbytery of Siam, being pres- ent was invited to sit as a corresponding member. Satisfactory reasons were rendered by Rev. Messrs. Ferrill, Graves and Miller for absence from the last Sessions of Presby- tery. The Moderator announced the following additions to the regu- lar standing Committees on the examination of candidates : On the 1st Committee Mr. W. W. Wharton, " 2d ^' Mr. G. W. White, " 3d Dr. J. L. Wortham, " 4th " Mr. T. J. Gregory, " 5th " Dr. C. L. Payne, " 6th " Mr. M. Y. Lanier, " 7th " Mr. G. W. Thompson, " 8th " Mr. R. L Smith. A call from the Madison Church for the Pastoral services of Rev. D. E. J ordan was presented to Presbytery and being found in order was placed in his hands. Upon mutual application the pastoral relation between Rev, G. W. Ferrill and the Spring Grove Church was dissolved and the Rev. T. U. Faucette was appointed^ to visit the church and declare it vacant. The Kev. E. Anderson of Roanoko Presbytery being pres- ent was invited to sit as a corresponding member. A call from the church in Fittsboro for the pastoral services of Kev. G. K. Caldwell was presented to Presbytery and being found in order was placed in his hands and accepted. Whereupon the first Sabbath in December was appointed for his installation by the following Committee, viz : Rev. James Phillips, ~D. D., to preach the sermon and propose the constitu- tional questions, and the Rev. A. Currie his alternate, Rev. Jno. B. Shearer to change the pastor and people, and the Rev. A. G. Hughes his alternate. Mr. W. W. Wharton was appointed Treasurer pro tern. Rev. Messrs. Caldwell, Shearer and Dal ton were appointed a Committee to organize a church at Haywood if the way be open. Rev. J. Henry Smith and Mr. W. L. Owen were appointed a Committee on th.e Minutes of the General Assembly. Rev. Messi;s. Currie and Dalton were appointed a Committee to prepare a narrative of the state of religion withm the bounds of this Presbytery. The following subjects were assigned to Mr. A. Kirkland as parts of trial : For a Lecture 23d Psalm, " " Popular Sermon John 3 : 16. « " Critical Exercise Rom. 6 : 16. " " Latin Exegesis " An Christus Deus Sit The following: Ministers and Ruling Elders were nominated as commissioners to the next General Assembly, vi z : Messrs. Mil- ler, Kirkpatrick, Hines, Neill and McMartin, Ministers, with Messre. D. P. Weir, Stephen ITeal, M. Y. Lanier, E. G. Reade and A. W. Yenable. Memorials relative to changing the Presbyterial and Synodi- cal relations of the Clarksville and Spring Hill churches were read and a verbal report was made by the pastor of Danville church on the same subject. After some discussion the whole matter was referred to a Com= mittee consisting of Rev. J. H. Smith, Rev. J. M. Atkinson, Rev. J. W. Montgomery and Mr. M. Y. Lanier, The semi-annual aermon by Rev. P. A. McMartin was defer- 6 red until the next stated meeting of Presbytery in consequence of his absence. The churches were called on to report if they obey the order enjoining the payment of the expenses of their delegates to our church judicatories. Whereupon it was Resolved^ That those churches which have failed to bear the expenses of their delegates to our ecclesiastical meetings, and those pastors and stated supplies who have not brought this mat- ter before their churches, be and are hereby solemnly reminded by this body of their duty. A letter from C. Wiley was read, giving satisfactory rea- sons for absence from the present Sessions of Presbytery. The Committee appointed to visit Chapel Hill made the fol- lowing report which was accepted and adopted : "The undersigned, a majority of the Committee appointed at the last stated Sessions of Presbytery to confer with the par- ties who contracted with the Trustees of the University for the purchase of the ground, &c., report, that they went to Chap- el Hill in August and had a conference with the brethren and liave received from them the following statement of the facts in the case, viz : 1. When the lot was purchased from the Trustees of the Uni- versity, and while the house was in building, the church mem- bers at Chapel Hill deliberately resolved to allow the title to remain in the hands of the Trustees of the University ; so that that highly respectable and permanent body of men might act as Trustees for them, so far as this property was concerned. Presbyterianism has always had a fluctuating existence in Chapel Hill, and one object that the church had in its decision was to secure for the benefit of the students of the University, and under the control of the Presbytery of Orange a place of worship, where the Presbytery might have its doctrines preached even if there were no members of its church in the village of Chapel Hill, or among the students or among the Faculty of the Uni- versity. The church had not then, and those who composed it then have not now, any fear that this trust will ever be abused by the Trustees of the University. If it ever should be abused, no property in Chapel Hill would be worth claiming. 1 Another reason, for thus choosing the Trustees of the Uni- versity to be their Trustees as to this lot and the house, was t(y put freely and unsolicited into the hands of the Trustees of the University a guarantee that whatever might be the aims or the results of similar enterprises at Chapel Hill, the builders of this house never intended to interfere with the religious instruc- tions of the University, either directly or indirectly. They would not solicit the presence of the students at this house when It would cause an absence from the regular services of the Col- lege Chapel, nor would they grant them an opportunity for such an absence, nor in any way try to bring the religious exercises of the College Chapel into disrespect with the students or with the citizens of the village. As these reasons have lost none of their influence, those now left to feel them must continue to obey them. Therefore while they cannot prevent, they must decline to endorse any request that the Trustees of the Univer- sity would transfer the title for this house and lot to other Trustees appointed by the present church and congregation. 11. As to the opposition to holding religious worship in this house " on Sunday forenoon and at any time simultaneously with the performance of Chapel worship," it can be said it is no new thing. It was announced at the dedication of the church, the paper then read was transmitted to the Trustees of the University it was recorded in the session book and there it has been repeat! edly read and approved by Presbytery. This position was as- sumed when others around us were doing differently, and as yet they have seen no good reason for following their example. Until some ten years ago all the students in the University were required to attend public worship in the College Chapel on Sunday morning. While this was the rule, they remonstrated with those who began to have religious services simultaneously with the College worship, as inaugurating a series of influences, which must be injurious to the University and the town. The life of the town is drawn from the University and the vigor of the University depends on the confidence that the moral and religious portion of the public have in its teachings and discip- line. There is no way of controlling the young men who resort to- 8 the University, except through their consciences, and the fool- ishness of preaching is still the divinely appointed means of educating the conscience. That the worship of God should be maintained in the College Chapel is to those concerned in this cpestion a matter of prime necessity. They think that its support ought to be decided and hearty and that its influence should not be thwarted by any means direct or indirect. Hence they have always deprecated the opening of places of worship which would lead the students into the temptation of leaving their own preaching, a temptation peculiarly strong when aided by denominational antipathies. Afterwards, when the present College rule " that students who are communicants may attend their own church in the village" was adopted, it be- came to them more necessary than ever^to abide by the opposi- tion to morning worship in the village. If full opportunities were granted to the professedly pious to avail themselves of this permission and were the consciences of all trained as some are, the effect of this^rule would be to empty the College Chapel of every soul able to join in the prayers of the preacher for bles- sings on themselves and their associates from a Father in Hea- ven. That this lamentable result is not now to be wept over is owing mainly to the pertinacity with which some Presbyterians have refrained from giving the members of our church the op- portunity, which the riile of the Trustees allows them to em- brace, when proffered by others. They must still decline to offer these opportunities. They asked the brethren abroad to help to put up a house " for the benefit of the students of the Univer- sity." They firmly believe that a morning service at our church would be to the injury immediate and decided, of all the stu- dents. It would take the salt in College from the world in Col- lege. The salt would not season where Providence intended it to act, and the world would go on, unseasoned and corruptible, to its full destruction. They cannot consent to use their money directly or indirectly to injure their pupils, to impede themselves in working for their good, or to prejudice the interests of the University from which they derive their support, by, in any way, yielding to a movement begun and even now to a con- siderable extent, maintained by a feeling that the College Chap- el is not a fit place for the worship ot Almighty God. 9 The foregoing objections were not removed by the visit of yonr Committee to Chapel Hill; they are entertained by three breth- ren who are members of the Faculty. Your Committee, how- ever, respectfully suggest that inasmuch as the church at Chap- el Hill was built as a Presbyterian Church for the benefit of the students and to be under the care of Presbytery, there should be no departure in regard to title to this particular property from th^e usages of our church which are in accordance with the laws of the State, that the Presbyterian Church at Chapel Hill should be placed upon the same footing of churches of other denominations in the village in regard to church privileges. It is therefore recommended that a Committee be appointed by Presbytery to cooperate with the Trustees of the Presbyte- rian congregation at Chapel Hill in an application to the Uni- versity Trustees for a proper title to be made to the lot and church edifice aforesaid. Your Committee are ot opinion that such title would be made, for there has been no evidence laid before the Committee that the Trustees of the University ever assented to act as trustees of said church or that they de- sire now to retain the title, more especially as they have grant- ed the privilege to students who are communicants to attend their respective churches in the village at the eleven o'clock service, and it is not to be supposed that it is in accordance with the views of the Trustees to exclude Presbyterian commu- nicants from a privilege which is granted to all. Eespectfully submitted, GILES MEBANE, J. W. NORWOOD. Whereupon the following preamble and resolution was adopt- ed, viz : Whereas, Presbytery with a respectful regard to the views and feelings of the par ties who contracted for the purchase of the lot, on which the church edifice at Chapel Hill is erected, have fully and candidly considered their objections and argu- ments as the same are set forth in the report of the Committee appointed at the last meeting to confer with them, and find therein no cause tochange the opinion heretofore expressed by the Presbytery in relation thereto. It is therefore. 10 Resolved^ In accordance with the recommendation of the Committee contained in their report aforesaid, that a Com- mittee consisting of Kev. S. A. Stanfield, Rev. Joseph M. Atkin- son, Eev. "Willis L. Miller, Messrs. John "W. Norwood, Edwin G. Reade, Ralph Gorrell, Giles Mebane and M. Y. Lanier be ap- pointed to cooperate in behalf of this Presbytery with the Trus- tees of the Presbyterian Church and congregation at Chapel Hill in an application to the University Trustees for a proper title to be made to the Trustees of the said church of the lot and church edifice aforesaid in trust for the use of the said church, and report to the Presbytery at its next stated meeting. And that the Clerk notify those members of the Committee who are not present, of their appointment. The ministers present were called on to report as to their obser- vance of the 3d chapter of the directory for public worship. The Ministers and Elders present reported that they have no poor in their congregations supported by public charity. Rev. F. N. Whaley was substituted for Rev. P. H. Dalton to organize a church in Warrenton it the way be open. The missionary supplies were called on to report, and it ap- peared that most of them had filled their appointments. Hillsboro,' JST. C. was chosen as the place for the next stated meeting of Presbytery, to commence on the second Wednesday in June 1860 at 8 o'clock, P. M. A memorial from Shiloh Church, on the subject of creating a permanent fund for the support of disabled ministers, was read and referred to a Committee consisting of Messrs. John W. Norwood, T. J. Gregory and M. Y. Lanier. By invitation the Rev. Mr. Mattoon, of Siam, addressed the Presbytery on the subject of Foreign Missions. "Whereupon, the following resolution was adopted, viz : Besolved^ That the Presbytery of Orange have listened with deep interest to the address of the Rev. Mr. Mattoon on the sub- ject of Foreign Missions, that they gratefully acknowledge the goodness of the Great Head of the church in putting it into the hearts of so many to consecrate themselves to the work, and re- cognize the obligation which it imposes on them to increase their contributions to this object, and therefore most earnestly 11 commend its claims to the churches under their care, not for- getting to make continued and earnest supplication to God in their behalf. Presbytery then adjourned to meet on Monday morning at 9 o'clock. Closed with prayer. Monday Mokning, Oct. 31, 1859. Presbytery met according to adjournment and was opened with prayer. The minutes of Saturday v/ere read and approved. The Committee on the memorial from Shiloh Church made the following report which was accepted and adopted, viz : The Committee to whom was referred the memorial from the church of Shiloh upon the subject of creating a permanent fund for the support of disabled Ministers beg leave to report that they have considered the same and deem it inexpedient for the Presbytery at present to take action in the matter. Rev. F. H. Johnston was appointed to make out the Presbyte- rial report to the Synod of C, on the subject of systematic benevolence. The hour for the free conversation on the state of religion hav- ing arrived, the subject was taken up. After which the Commit- tee appointed to prepare a narrative made a report which was ac- -cepted and adopted and a copy ordered to be forwarded to Synod. The report of the Committee on the circular from the Board of Education was read, received and laid on the table. The church at Roxboro' was commended to the attention of the Presbyterial Committee of church extension. The following ministers and ruling Elders were elected Com- missioners to the next G-eneral Assembly, viz : Willis L. Miller and Edward Hines, Ministers, Mr. M. Y. Lanier and Edwin G. Keade, Ruling Elders, 12 The following ministers and ruling Elders were chosen as al- ternates in the order in which they stand, viz : P. A. McMartin and J. M. Kirkpatrick, Ministers. A. W, Yenable and Dr. D. P. Weir, Ruling Elders. The Committee of Domestic Missions nominated ths following list of supplies which was accepted and adopted, viz : Eev. C. Phillips " T. G. Wall, J. M. Sherwood, " J. M. Atkinson, " J. B. Shearer, " A. Currie, A. G. Hughes, Eev. F. Whaley, " E. Hines, " J. Doll, " C. Phillips, " C. H. Wiley, " P. A. McMartin, J.H.Smith, Rev. S. A. Stanfield, " J. M. Kirkpatrick, Rev. J. W. Montgomery, Rev. D. E. Jordan, Alex. Wilson, D. D., 0. H. Wiley, E. W. Caruthers, D. D., U. H. Wiley, James Phillips, D. D., Rev. F. H. Johnston, Rev. E. H. Harding, Rev. Thos. U. Faucette, Rev. Joseph M. Atkinson, one Sabbath 3d Sab. in December, Kinston, 3d " " January, 3d February, 3d " " March, 3d " " April, 3d " May, 4 " " November, 4 " " December, 4 " " January, 4 " " February, 4 " " March, * 4 ^' " April, 4 " " May, one Sabbath, WarrentoD, one Sabbath, two Sabbaths, one " Leaksville, Wentworth, Hillsdale, Louisburg, u Richland, High Point, u a Hopewell, Penuil, Spring Grove, Halifax Co., The Committee on the Minutes of the General Assembly made the following report which was accepted and adopted, viz : The Committee on the Minutes of the General Assembly re- port the following : 1. We call to the attention of Presbytery the resolution of the 13 Assembly on the subject of Presbyterial o^^ersigbt of candidates, and suggest the appointment of a Cointnittee to report a detail- ed plan to the next meeting of the Presbytery. 2. We recommend to the Churches under the care of this Pres- bytery the observance of the second Monday of January 1860 as a season of special prayer for the conversion of the world. 3. We recommend earnestly the resolution of the Assembly on the sanctitication of the Sabbath, to the attention of our pas- tors and sessions. Rev. J. Henry Smith and Rev. J. Doll were then appointed a Committee in accordance with the suggestion in die 1st Sec. of the above report. Rev. J. W. Montgomery was appointed to organize a church at Wentworth if the way be open. The Committee on the memorials from the Churches of Clarkes- ville and Spring Hill made the following report which was accep- ted and adopted, viz : The Committee to whom were referred the memorials in rela- tion to the Churches of Clarkesville and Spring Hill, report, that they have considered the subject and in view of the fact that the Church of Danville has not concurred and the Church of Penu- 11 has not been consulted in the action of the other Churches, would recommend that the matter be submitted anew to these several Churches that harmony of action may be attained if possible. Resolved^ That Rev. S. A. Stantield be and is hereby elected by this Presbytery an Evangelist for the Eastern portion of Orange Presbytery for one year, and that his salary be One Thousand Dollars to be paid in regular quarterly installments from the time that he begins his work. The Committee on systematic benevolence made the follow- ing report which was accepted and adopted, viz : Your committee begs leave to make the ioUowing report on systematic benevolence m Orange Presbytery. It appears on the whole that the contributions to the several Boards of our church and the various objects of benevolence have been on the increase during the past year, and on the part of several of the churches within our bounds, this increase is very gratifying and 14 affords occasion for special thanksgiving. It is a matter of re- gret, however, that more than one third of our churches have either given very little or nothing towards benevolent purposes. Some have given nothing and others, while they have contrib- ■uted something to one or two of the Boards, have neglected the others entirely. Your Committee would respectfully suggest the propriety of calling the attention ot these churches, many of which are vacant, to their duty in this respect, and recommends that Pastors and Stated Supplies appointed by Presbytery to visit and preach at all our vacant churches, be requested to bring the matter more prominently before them, and enjoin it upon them to give statedly of their means to the carrying out of the christian and benevolent purposes of our church. An adjourned meeting of Presbytery was appointed to con- vene at Madison, I^". G., at 12 o'clock on Friday before the 1st Sabbath in December next, with a view to the ordination and installation of Mr. D. E. Jordan if the way be open ; Pev. J. Henry Smith to preside, preach the ordination aermon, make the ordination prayer and propose the constitutional ques- tions. And Pev. S. A. Stanfield was appointed his alternate. Pev. J. Doll to charge the people and Pev. John M. Kirkpat- rick his alternate ; Pev. John W. Montgomery to charge the Pastor and the Pev. F. H. Johnston his alternate. 2d Cor. 5 : 21, was assigned to Mr. Jordan as a text for a trial sermon. Permission was granted by Presbytery to the members of Speedwell Church to join at Wentworth so soon as a church shall be organized at that place ; there being no Session at Speed- well to grant them a regular dismission. Resolved^ That the thanks of this Presbytery be tendered through the Pastor of this church, to the people of Clarkesville and vicinity for their kindness and hospitality to the members of this Presbytery — to the Episcopal, Methodist and Baptist churches for the tender of their houses of worship, and to the P. P. Conipanj^ for their kindness to the members of this Presby- tery. Presbytery then adjourned to meet in Wilmington, N". C, during the Sessions of Synod at the . call of the Moderator. Closed with prayer. ' J . Doll, Stated Clerk. MIN'UTES O F THE ADJOURISrEI> MEETINGS. Wilmington, K C, Nov. 2nd, 1859. Presbytery met at the call of the Moderator and was opened with prayer. But not being prepared for business a^recess was taken to meet at the call of the Moderator. Thursday, Nov. 3rd, 1859. — Presbytery met at the call of the Moderator, when Kev. Messrs. Willis L. Miller, P. H. Dalton, C. PhilUps and T. G. Wall were appointed a Committee to con- fer with Fayetteville Presbytery with reference to changing the boundary line between them. Presbytery then took a recess to meet again at the call of the Moderator. Friday, November 4th, 1859.— Presbytery met at the call of the Moderator; when the Committee appointed to confer with Payetteville Presbytery in regard to the boundary line between them, reported that they had discharged this duty and that noth- ing can be done at present. Presbytery then took a recess to meet again at the call of the Moderator. Saturday, November 5, 1859. — Presbytery met at the call of the Moderator. Whereupon, the Presbytery adjourned to meet in Madison, N. C, at 12 o'clock, M., on Friday before the first Sabbath in De- cember, 1859. Closed with prayer. J. Doll, Stated Clerk.